ETC has worked with the Harris County Toll Road Authority (HCTRA) since 1998 and was awarded the role as HCTRA’s systems integrator, maintenance, and supplemental service provider in July 2001. Under this contract, ETC provides overall program management, integration, and maintenance services for HCTRA’s electronic toll collection system, HETCS. During this time, HCTRA and ETC have systematically and successfully renovated HCTRA’s aging toll collection system and implemented new facilities, incorporating some of the most advanced toll collection features in the industry.
The cooperative relationship between HCTRA and ETC continues to deliver several industry-leading achievements that create significant benefits for HCTRA’s customers and support transportation initiatives throughout the region:
- Managed HOT Lanes – HCTRA and ETC worked closely to design and implement High Occupancy Toll lanes on the recently reconstructed Katy Expressway portion of Interstate 10.
- The Westpark Tollway – The nation’s first all-electronic (open road tolling) toll road has been internationally recognized and is the winner of the IBTTA’s 2005 President’s Award for Toll Excellence.
- Interoperability – Solutions for interoperability enable statewide interoperability, including interoperability with the approximately 2.1 million TollTag users of the North Texas Tollway Authority in greater Dallas. Additionally, the interoperability solution permitted HCTRA’s EZ TAGs to be used for parking access and fees at Houston airports.
- Clearinghouse Operations – HCTRA’s solutions give it the flexibility to act as the transaction and customer service clearinghouse for the Fort Bend County Toll Road Authority’s operations.
- EZ TAG Recall and Refurbishment – This program, provided by ETC, reduced potential violations, improved customer service and saved HCTRA more than $1 million.
About HCTRA. The Harris County Toll Road Authority, headquartered in Houston, Texas, is one of the nation’s largest and most progressive toll authorities. HCTRA operates multiple toll facilities totaling 365 toll lanes and processes more than 1 million toll transactions each day.